Friday 24 February 2012

Spaghetti Pig Out

Spaghetti Pig Out is a superb short story written by an Australian children's author called Paul Jennings. Many of his stories were made into a television series called Round the Twist as the characters always end up in very strange situations.

The story revolves around a young boy who discovers a remote control that can control reality. The gadget is fun at first but soon gets him into trouble with hilarious consequences involving a horse, a steak dinner, the school bully and a spaghetti eating contest...

This was the first story I chose to read to my first ever class in a school in South Wales in 1995. I like it so much because the characters are well written and the author understands how children speak, think and react to what happens around them. It is also extremely funny with a great twist at the end. I intend to share this story with my current class as they like class readers with a humorous twist.

Finally, I chose a book by an Australian author because I spent a year of my life living and working in Australia which was an incredible experience. This story makes me think of that special time in my life.

2 comments: